Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Boston Public Library eCards
Boston Public Library
- At the top of the page, click on the Services menu and, under SIGN UP FOR, select eCards.
- Click on the blue Get or Renew your eCard box on the right.
- Click Proceed. You will be asked if you are a permanent MA resident. Select Yes, then click Proceed.
- You will be asked to fill in a form with your first and last name and address. Fill in all the required fields, then click Proceed.
- Enter your date of birth and email address (it can either be your school email or your personal email), and create a 4-digit PIN. Be sure to write down or save your PIN somewhere so you don't forget it! Then click Proceed.
- Verify that your information has been entered correctly, then click I Agree.
- You will be prompted to check your email. In another tab, sign in to your email to open the message from BPL. If you don't see it in your inbox, check your spam folder. It may take up to 15 minutes for the message to appear.
- Open the email. You will see that you have been assigned a numeric barcode number. This is your BPL card number! Write it down or save it somewhere for safekeeping.
- At the BPL homepage, hover over and click Log In on the top right-hand corner. Enter the barcode number assigned to you and the PIN you chose, proceed, and then create a username. Remember this as well!
To access databases through BPL:
From the BPL home page, click the Books & More option found at the top. Click on Online Resources.
Scroll through the list of options by clicking on A-Z Resources on the right, or click on a subject area to limit the number of databases you see.
When prompted, enter your BPL card number and PIN.